Update March 23rd

Update March 23rd

Another week has reached it’s end and work continues on all fronts. Tasos has been occupied with business meetings and based on discussions we have had all week as well as his notes we gathered all the information and compiled the following update, with the help of the development team.

It’s worth mentioning that since Monday a dedicated Project manager has been added to the team and we are expecting a couple more new arrivals next week. This is very important for us as it will allow team members to focus on specific tasks rather than spread themselves too thin trying to fill any gaps in the group.

On our on going tasks, the persistence feature has moved on to the testing phase. Implementation of the new markets continues and we now have some initial concept sketches of how they will look. We will share them as soon as our artists are done with them, but rest assured that we are aiming for something that will be aesthetically pleasing as well as provide good functionality.

Our engine programming team is also working hard on the aesthetics of the game and we have had some new shaders created for the new training area. Of course they may be used in other locations in the game as they look amazing. Also, SMAA has been added to the game engine. For those of you that have not heard of it, it’s an antialiasing system that is quite new and extremely fast while providing very good results.

Weapon Ranks concept

Speaking about the training area, our world builders have complete the main layout but there is still some work to be done to bring it to life. The result is very impressive and we feel the area will be a great introduction to the game visually as well as game-play wise.

First four ranks of Militant Great Axe

Also our art team is working, among other things, on modeling the new weapons. You may remember the concept of weapon ranks. Now you can see the actual models for the first four ranks of the Militant style of Great axes. Keep in mind that this is just one of the styles of weapons that Darkfall 2.0 will offer. There are six styles with nine ranks each so you can understand there is quite a lot of visual diversity in the game.

Since we are on the topic of crafting, we have a few more details about the philosophy behind the new system and some examples of how it works.

As we mentioned in a previous update, rare ore plays a major role in crafting. Apart from being used for crafting weapons and armor, rare ore is also used to infuse other materials like wood and leather. Higher ranks of items require one of the infused variants of the specific material. The infusing task falls onto the relevant conversion profession. You are already familiar with the conversion professions of smelting and woodcutting. Smelting is used to convert raw ore to ingots of the specific metal. Woodcutting, apart from converting timber to wood, is now also used to infuse wood with rare ore to produce materials like selentine wood.

We are also adding two new conversion professions, tanning and weaving. Skinning does no longer produce leather ready for use in crafting, but raw hides. These need to be cured to become usable leather. As an example, combining raw hides with selentine ore produces selentine leather. Finally, cloth, which can now be crafted, will be made with the weaving profession. The herb gathering nodes have changed and they now produce cotton which can be processed into cloth, or infused with rare ore to produce materials like selentine cloth.

The reasoning behind all this is having a system that rare materials are proportionally distributed across all professions, players have more options and ways to combine them as well as create more crafting and market opportunities. The image below gives some examples of the process.

Examples of material conversion
      IT IS LIKELY THAT SOMETHING UNLIKELY WILL HAPPEN

[expander]Click me for info[/expander]
      FIRST!!!!XD

i have the strong feeling that we will not have a wipe atall.

playerskills: they obviously building the system on top of the current one, furthermore i think they will make a stat point system.
      the telling about the int and wis thing in the magic thread just says the same, they will go for a system where you define your character more with the stats then ever.
      the armor they gonna change also heads towards point system cus its easy to implement on top of that.

banks: also the crafting system is build on top of the current one, they making the crafter more usefull cus it takes now more time to make items you can craft with.
      the salvaging tool they mentioned would totally fit in this system.
      Also the market system with bid orders and "self regulating" shiat is a sign that they could try it without bankwipes

the holdings amount wont change also i would think they are quite the same way arranged since they are grouped in race areas now.
      they can just transfer the holdings to the current owners and thats it.

what i wanna say is that they arent doing any changes we know of that could stand in the way to just run the server as it is now, just with DF 2 on it.
      They have a whole new startup in asia and i think thats also the main market they want to go for since noone knows DF there and they rlly can make a fresh start.

but in EU and NA i think it would be contraproductive to just make a wipe no matter where on chars banks or holdings, also the next setup can just work when it can overhelm the current amount of ingame items, every other system would fail again or would be so different that they couldnt build on top of the excisting one.

so lets get out there and farm some serious amount of cash dudes XD
      Leaderboard

1 Weird Earb 435 <------he got me, just a matter of time XD
      2 Denioz VanValdenburg 345
      3 Jiron 330
      4 sindur 305
      5 Fisk 305
      6 Fayt 285
      7 Azmoodeus 265
      8 wilbyjones 265
      9 Landogar 165
      10 Hate 160
      uqtu mine was empty

farmed 23k just now, bed time Oo

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuoooooooooooo wuff wuff axes, finally they ve got a boss.

OMG my eyes are bleeding cus of those high quality posts keep up the good work XP
      Leaderboard

3 Jiron 330
      4 sindur 305
      5 Fisk 305
      6 Fayt 285
      7 Azmoodeus 265
      8 wilbyjones 265
      9 Landogar 165
      10 Hate 160
      when they only would state there is no wipe on chars and banks i could continue playing DF but for now DF has too less people to play rlly activ
      ps. the blog is over 75 since resfelm is writing it and its surging soon cus of the new manager they have since last week yay =)
      Leaderboard

3 Jiron 330
      4 sindur 305
      5 Fisk 305
      6 Fayt 285
      7 Azmoodeus 265
      8 wilbyjones 265
      9 Landogar 165
      10 Hate 160