Darkfall Radio Interview

Darkfall Radio Interview

EDIT: Here is the interview translated by AV in a better way: Darkfall forum

Found this on the Darkfall forums, where a Greek dude translated a radio interview that was aired on Greek radio where 2 Aventurine designers answered questions. What I found interesting is that now when all the races have formed an alliance you can run around in all capital cities and there are no more chaos cities.
      In the event of the American election I highlighted the spokespersons in red and blue .
      Enjoy

This is my attempt to translate the radio interview.this is not an exact word for word translation .this is the interview as posted on the Greek section

Sound-video of the event

i will state the host or telephone questions as host: and their answers as they: .I start after they present themselves at around 5:00

host : so ,here we come to my first question. How will you deal with loot in df:uw ,i remember people killing a kobolt and getting a few gold or something

them: well ,the case is that every mob in game has been revamped ,their loot tables have been redesigned .for low tier mobs well i wouldnt say exactly that they drop less but lets simply say that the loot has been redistributed .High tier mobs certainly drop more in comparison to the first game .we want to get people to their areas .we have done a risk vs reward distribution throughout the game.we have this in mind for loot tables , mobs as well as resources

host: will every mob drop a gave ?
      them: yes.all of them drop something ,it was confusing for new players to kill a goblin and find nothing ,they thought something was wrong.

Host: speaking of new players ,what do you have in mind for them? i remember in df1 ,the new player could die at the very first quest killing goblins or trolls.
      them : we have already tried to remedy this issue in the past , it was a big concern for us .new people would join the game and find a very hostile environment and never log in again .we want to make the early game experience more fun and less frustrating .we know darkfall is a harsh game .Every player is different ,some people need more time to find their pace and feel comfortable with the game , especially the mainstream players.we want to give people a chance to find the role they like and the playstyle they like , before moving to harder areas where they should fight.so we have created some safe zones .essentially the areas where you first spawn , the npc cities are safe .

host: well pretty much in any mmo the city itself is safe , but do you also mean the surrounding areas as well?
      them : yes it includes the areas of the first mobs
      host: so approximately how much ?the very first spawn outside the npc city?
      them: well it depends on the map ,and how we have divided the areas in our grid , people can not see this .it is certainly not a single spawn because everyone would go to that particular spawn .there are a few spawns of really small mobs for you to discover and enjoy the game .

galadourn from greek lords calls,presents himself and make a jest about how little info we have .

host: will there be a crafting penalty in the npc cities?
      them:this is a question that popped when we decided to have safe zones.it is under consideration but here is the thing.we cannot exclude ,players that do not belong in a clan , from making high end items.we are careful to our approach , we see several suggestions coming from veteran players at the forum. we understand that, crafting in total safety seems against the philosophy of our game but it is a delicate issue ,especially at launch when several people will not be in a clan .

host: so there are no chaos cities then?
      them: no there is no reason for them anymore.
      host.is it just the capital cities + 3 smaller cities?
      them: yes that is right.all the other region is full ffa pvp .
      host: what about dx10?
      them: we are the design department , so i am not 100% certain for this .it is about our engine .
      host: what about the beta? we are really close to launch now .the game shuts down at 15 and you said launch is on the 20th.
      them: this is also something i am not allowed to comment right now.there is no official statement on this issue and to be frank i do not know any details myself.

host:so if there are no chaos cities ,what about the "bad" guys ,those who have killed someone and they are red?
      them: being red ,no longer means you cannot enter npc cities .there are actually no tower inside the npc cities and a red can enter as well. being red is an info for the community.other players can decide how to deal with that.

host: so you can not kill another person in these areas right? because i remember various grieving scenarios with blue people healing a red that was killing others etc.
      them: this will no longer be possible. we do not want to change the core game design but this is not a typical mmo ,where we have tab targeting .in darkfall you can swing a sword and hit 3 people or someone unintentionally .people would jump in front of you just to flag you etc.we try to avoid all this .

plakamekaneis calls at that point.

host: i would like some more details concerning the launch.last time i bought the game ,things were a bit vague .please be more precise about the actual date .
      them: the date we have said , 20 November is valid so far. this is the info we have as well .we are working at 100% for this date.the whole planning is based on this date and we do not have any other info .

host: so will there be a box edition? what about a digital download ?which shops will have the game.I just want to avoid all the trouble i had last time, trying for 3 weeks ,to by the game(he means the f5 days i guess).
      them: we have changed the tools we used during our previous launch.A few years now we do not use that tool for billing .we do not expect any problems to arise for those buying the game online. We will certainly have a box edition in Greece.I am not certain if the box edition will be available at 20 November though or sometime later.

Host: Are there any plans for special editions or pre-orders ?
      them: we had some plans about a collectors edition .we made some meetings concerning this issue . They were not conclusive as far as i remember .

Host: how many servers will be there , at launch?
      them: we will have those 2 servers that we currently have .one for europe and another one for US ,at the exact same locations we have them now .

host: there is some kind of deal with an asian company right?will there be an asian server at some point?
      them: we have some form of cooperation with a Korean company but i do not want to comment anything at this point. do not worry ,we are working closely and regularly with them ,but it is too early .

Source: Darkfall forum

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „Reidar Beck“ ()

valkyrior calls next.

host:should we expect some queues at launch?
      them: we still have a server capacity of 10.000 concurrent players.i actually hope we have some queues (they laugh). I hope the game is successful like the first .we do not want το discomfort people of course.

host: what about multi-core support? you mentioned this feature ,what is the performance? have you done the essential tests?
      them: we have done our tests.we have no issues so far given our number of internal testers. we have done some serious optimizing at some point.we changed the gui and that caused some issues so we had to optimize everything .we will monitor how things go when we have a bigger sample post-launch .so far we do not have any issues.

host: i heard there are no chaos cities, i also heard the sea mass is less.so will we have more player cities or hamlets?
      them: we have pretty much the same number of cities. i think the number of villages is slightly bigger. we also have more house slots to some of the existing villages.

host: besides dwarves , is there any other change concerning the races?
      them: we changed the races aesthetically ,for gameplay reasons.no one can debate if one race is better than the others (they make some jokes about ginger magician) .it is a matter of personal preference. all races are anatomically pretty much the same .
      host: what about the starting attributes ? someone starts with more vitality etc?
      them: no they are the same .the only difference is their looks.
      host: so what about racial alignment?
      them: we explain all that in our lore .the races had to make peace and declare war to the gods. so you can go to any npc city you like .

host: so, can people exploit the borders of the safe area?
      them: no ,not really .there is a timer.when you enter the zone you are not immediately protected and when you leave the zone you are not immediately vulnerable.so you cannot exploit the mechanic going in and out ,there is some small cooldown.

last telephone call.

host: we had some problems with the customer support .sometimes you had to send your issue twice ,or they would ask you so many questions. will it be more friendly to the customer?
      them: we have changed the platform now. so i expect , things will be better now. of course solving an issue can be hard without the necessary tools that the GM might have at his disposal .At this point we focus 1000% on the development of the actual game and we will make sure we do our best for the customer support as well.

host: how will you deal with hackers , or people who would macro skills under the map?
      them:we have the standard anti-hacking tools, those we have in df1 right now .i am not sure if we have added anything extra.As for macroing skills .the way the game works right now macroing skills will not be very efficient .you can be viable in a role very soon .most of the skills such as "running" etc ,that people seemed to macro a lot, no longer raise attributes etc.we also have a new currency used to raise your character skills. you cannot obtain this currency through macros .you might raise some skills but it would be easier to do with normal gameplay

Source: Darkfall forum