15/March/2012 Update

15/March/2012 Update

As work continues on quite a few ongoing tasks, today we would like to share with you some specifics about low level magic as well as some information on balancing magic in general.

Minor Incantations is a mixed intelligence and wisdom based school available to all characters no matter what they are wearing. It contains 5 utility spells that are useful in a variety of situations. Spells belonging to this school require no reagents to be cast.

Mana Missile – Your typical low level damage dealing spell. There is a thought of assigning Mana Missile as the default magic attack.

Heal Self – The standard self healing spell for all characters.

Light – Can be cast on enemies to illuminate them or on allies to illuminate dark areas. Our differed lighting system is what makes this possible.

Slow Fall – Falling damage is quite perilous in Darkfall 2.0. The cap for fall damage has been increased quite a bit and you will take such damage for shorter drops than in the current game. Also falling damage will leave you incapacitated if it exceeds your current hit point total. If you are out alone or with friends that is a minor inconvenience as you will either recover on your own or get revived. If you are being chased by an enemy though, a gank is more likely to follow. Slow fall will be life saving in such situations but it needs to be timed quite accurately to be effective.

Beacon – A spell for marking targets.

A lot of work has been done in balancing magic and making the effectiveness of spells make more sense.

The primary factor when determining spell effectiveness is the governing attribute. Intelligence and Wisdom levels will play a major role on how much of an impact you do while casting spells. Of course Intelligence based spells only take this attribute into consideration with Wisdom based ones doing the same.

The second factor is the actual spell level. Something to note on spell levels is that damage scaling has been redone for all spells. The aim is to have higher tier spells be more useful, even at low levels, than lower tier spells that have been maxed out. To give you an example, Mana Missile at level 90 will be doing roughly the same amount of damage as, let’s say, Fireball at level 20. The reason this is being done is so that you do not have to rely on a lower tier spell for long, once you have acquired a new shiny spell to play with.

The third factor is the staff type and rank. All staffs have been rebalanced and their rank now plays a more prominent role in the effectiveness of the spells you are casting.

The fourth factor is the level of the magic school with options like intensify following as the fifth and final factor.

We will be presenting other magic schools as soon as we have all the information.

Source: Darkfall Blog
      To give you an example, Mana Missile at level 90 will be doing roughly the same amount of damage as, let’s say, Fireball at level 20. The reason this is being done is so that you do not have to rely on a lower tier spell for long, once you have acquired a new shiny spell to play with.

badest sentence i ever heared from AV regarding to the DF 2 changes.

casual gameplay incoming ;)
      Leaderboard

1 Weird Earb 435 <------he got me, just a matter of time XD
      2 Denioz VanValdenburg 345
      3 Jiron 330
      4 sindur 305
      5 Fisk 305
      6 Fayt 285
      7 Azmoodeus 265
      8 wilbyjones 265
      9 Landogar 165
      10 Hate 160
      i dont talk about the MM, read the text its about every fcking spell, so basically you have only one way, to use the low lvl spells till you can get the next more powerfull spell and so on, totally stupid for DF imo. they should make spell skills that just can be lvled or upgraded while getting higher skill but to say okay we have now this skill you use till you got this skill wich is way better so u gonna use that now till the next powerfull spell is reached.

What i dont understand is, making the mm spell almost unusable and saying "There is a thought of assigning Mana Missile as the default magic attack." WTF???

Besides that they need a certain visual mark on the guys who are on a high lvl so people wont complain cus they SEE the spell is different and see that the guys a superiour mage.

so basically were running here for a total class system where u can choose earth to root for example air to heal and fire to make large aoes or stuff like that XD
      but in the magic schools itselfe will not be anything you can do different then any other, it has a fixed role.

i like a class system dont get me wrong i just dont like spells not to use, so after i complete the earth magician tree i can look at several spells i wont use on that lvl cus theyre too shitty, it just doesnt seem DF like ;)
      Leaderboard

3 Jiron 330
      4 sindur 305
      5 Fisk 305
      6 Fayt 285
      7 Azmoodeus 265
      8 wilbyjones 265
      9 Landogar 165
      10 Hate 160

Denioz VanValdenburg schrieb:

What i dont understand is, making the mm spell almost unusable and saying "There is a thought of assigning Mana Missile as the default magic attack." WTF???

I guess there they mean that a staff fires a MM when no spell is selected. So mages have a staff attack, as like in the themepark mmos. Probably not such a bad idea, I don't think it would make any real difference, mages would just spam MM instead of using a bow.
      so basically a nonsense spell that every caster can cast lets say for almost free.

i rlly dont know what to think about that so many they say dont let me feel good =)

ps. and all that infos coming besides the fact there will be a f2p version of it hehe
      Leaderboard

3 Jiron 330
      4 sindur 305
      5 Fisk 305
      6 Fayt 285
      7 Azmoodeus 265
      8 wilbyjones 265
      9 Landogar 165
      10 Hate 160

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „Denioz VanValdenburg“ ()